Meet Maddie Abbott, one of our Lillico Supported Riders!
Maddie is a local eventer and competes her pony Millie at BE, BS and Pony Club. This is an exciting month for Maddie and Millie as they have qualified for The Pony Club Championships in eventing! We got to know Maddie by asking her 20 questions about herself (not all horse related!) Take a read below.
- What is your goal for 2019 to achieve with your horse?
To do well at The Pony Club Eventing Championships on 16th-20th August at Cholmondeley Castle. Millie and I qualified at Brightling.
- If you were an animal, which animal would you be and why?
A giraffe, because I have long legs!
- Who is your equestrian hero and why?
Ben Hobday - he's been through so much and come out the other side, he's a huge inspiration!
- What’s your best equestrian accomplishment to date?
Qualifying individually for The Pony Club Championships. Only one person qualified so there was a lot of pressure to win!!
- One item you couldn’t live without?
Without a doubt my phone! I'm always on it.
- If you didn’t ride horses, what hobby would you have?
Motocross, my brother competes so if we weren't busy travelling up and down the country to horse shows, we would be going to motocross with the boys so I might as well join in!
- Do you have a secret talent?
Hurdling! I'm sure it comes from all those years of jumping the human show jumps as a child in the garden!
- Dogs or cats?
- Valegro or Big Star?
- Summer or winter?
Summer, everything is easier with horses in the summer!
- Skiing or beach holiday? (If you’re lucky enough to have holidays with horses!)
Beach holiday, not that we get many of those with horses! It's nice to relax when we finally get the chance to.
- What was the name of your first pony?
Fairy. Typical childhood dream pony name!
- Do you have any superstitions? (e.g. lucky socks)
I have to wear my Pikeur breeches at competitions. They're turning a little bit grey from so many washes but I just can't let them go!
- Mucking out or poo picking?
- Favourite show of the year?
My favourite to watch at is Olympia but my favourite which I have competed at is Blue Chip at Hartpury. I had a fantastic show there this year and there was a great atmosphere.
- What is your horse’s favourite treat?
Extra strong mints but we also discovered by accident that she likes salt and vinegar hula hoops too!! Although we wouldn't advice feeding, Millie simply helped herself!
- What’s your best dad joke?
Today my son asked, "Can I have a bookmark?" I burst into tears. 11 years old and he still doesn't know my name is Brian! (Hilarious!)
- If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
I would love to be invisible!
- Do you have any other pets?
I have a British Bulldog called Buzz. He's quite young but is really cool! He's not the best 'lorry dog' however as he is quite large! He loves coming to the stables though, mainly because of the fuss he gets.
- Thoroughbred, Warmblood or cob?
Definitely a Warmblood for showjumping and eventing!